Finding the balance point

General Discussion

Moderators: Paul, mike_rock, JB

Finding the balance point

Postby Taz666 » Mon May 05, 2008 5:23 pm

OK, sitting here recuperating and watching the footage from stunt skills. I have worked out that I don't have big enough balls.

Apart from actually going too far and tipping the bloody thing over, what tips are there for finding the balance point? I am thinking that a piece of PVC 20mm conduit or similar attached to the 12 bar so that it hits just before might be a good idea.

As I have always been a power wheelie junkie, the clutching up took a while, and while happy with the results I have a thirst for more.

As for the learnings from Stuntskills, the following is a summary of what I learnt;

I don't have big enough balls
I'm old and you use a lot of muscles that don't normally get a work out
Old habits die hard (when I was nineteen, the night before race day was a pissup and you work on the bike until two AM, strangely enough 26 years later, nothing has changed)
Big sprockets require finesse on the throttle
Too much tyre pressure causes you to "weave" and wobble
The front forks can be horizontal before you need to be concerned (even if I didn't get there
Practise is the only way
Letting the front come down hard will explode fork seals
It is harder to fall off than it looks
I need to do more of this
Letting the bike do the work is the key (yep, I got sore shoulders)
Adrenalin counteracts exhaustion
Stunters don't need sidestands (they use crash cages instead)
Bender is a lunatic
Fat bastards have to get on the tanks to do rolling burnouts
Race wets make good smoke
Sportsbikes behave very differently to Harleys
I'm still not too old to learn
going slow is harder tha it looks
Stunters are nice people

An education worth every cent and the pain I am experiencing today. And all of this in just one day.
If you can't race it or take it to bed it ain't worth having
Taz666

Postby JB » Mon May 05, 2008 6:59 pm

seat time brother. this is all it takes and you did really well for your 1st time out trying it properly. when at BP your revs will stay steady and not increase or decrese and the bike will feel weightless. at this point you still have along way to go before you loop out. although it feels like your about to, your not. this will take a while to get used to and get your head round that "oh shit" feeling you get.
try and be smooth on the throttle and practice using your rear brake during a wheelie even if not at BP. when i was learning how to get to BP i adjusted my rear brake lever all the way up so i was forced to ride it and get a feel for how it worked bringing the bike down from wheelies.
to avoid blowing fork seals, try and accelerate out of the wheelie to make a smoother landing.
hope this has helped mate. look forward to the next stuntskills :)
one day i will think of something smart to put here
JB

Yep, practice and more practice

Postby Taz666 » Mon May 05, 2008 7:29 pm

Unfortunately I still have some vivid memories of flipping bikes when I was younger. I will have to get my head around it. Watched the video from yesterday and yep, there is a long way to go.

Still had buckets of fun though.

I think I might have to get a small chookie to build on the confidence levels. Mind you, I was that knackered by the end of the day that it was a challenge to get it all together at the same time.

I had already adjusted the rear brake lever and using it is also a new experience for me.

I agree that seat time is the only way, just looking at ways to reduce the hurt in the learning curve. You have to remeber that I am 45 these days, felt like a fossil on the day :twisted:

Might have to convince Bender to spend a half day or so with me for a bit of coaching. I can probably bribe him with beers

Cheers

Taz
Taz666

Postby benaylen » Mon May 05, 2008 8:02 pm

:lol:
I love your list of things you've learnt. I'll copy and paste that after I take the new F4i out for the first time. I imagine it's going to be very different to the fifty.
But if you organise Keys to give you a coaching lesson, then let me know and I'll come film for you. I love crashes :P (jokes)
benaylen
Site Admin

If you're up for it, I like crashes too

Postby Taz666 » Mon May 05, 2008 8:22 pm

If I can convince Bender, you should come along. I am old and unfit and need my rest breaks. You can do some learning of your own on the Gixxer :twisted:

I have a place tthat this could happen without attracting attention as long as Bender can refrain from smoking it up.

I have burnt the DVD from the weekend, there is some good footage. I will have a go at editing highlights coz there is a full DVD about three hours.
Taz666

Postby JB » Mon May 05, 2008 8:54 pm

as you already mentioned, you had a heap of fun. this is the one thing you have to remember IMO. its all bout fun. thats why we do it. before you know it you will be looking bacl thinking, a few months ago i couldnt do that and now its so easy for me. me thinks i'll have to make a trip down there for a w/e in the next few months :)
JB

Postby benaylen » Mon May 05, 2008 9:38 pm

ha ha, that gixxer is too nice to let me throw it down the road :)

yeah, Bender is always keen for new practice spots. The two he has at the moment aren't fantastic. The one that's close is uneven, small with obstacles while the other is pretty hard to organise a time to ride at.

And JB, if you want to come down you're welcome to stay at mine again. I'll even give you secure parking in our garage.
benaylen
Site Admin

Postby JB » Mon May 05, 2008 9:43 pm

sounds like a plan :) just got a few things gotto get sorted up here 1st and then i'll be organising a time with you boys eh :)
JB

Return to General Chat