Benny's new ski boat....

General Discussion

Moderators: Paul, mike_rock, JB

Benny's new ski boat....

Postby benaylen » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:33 pm

Good old boat, OR biting off more than I can chew???
Specs: Very thirsty Evinrude Starflight IV 60HP, 4 cyl, 2 stroke outboard with elec start.
Trailer is good but needs lights and rego, and two new tyres
Hull is good but the interior is pretty well shanked but it's not a huge job to sort that out. Only needs upholstery and carpet.
Boat was 'going like the clappers' in 2001/2002 when it was parked under a carport. It now needs a fuel tank, battery, and it looks like the Forward / Neutral / Reverse controls have been giving trouble.

I got it for free, so no complaints. It was in the family for years so the family is stoked I've got it back and I'm keen to give it some TLC. It's quite sentimental so I'll be pretty stoked when/if I get it finished, floating and running.

** Edited to shrink the picture sizes **
Last edited by benaylen on Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
benaylen
Site Admin

Postby JB » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:14 pm

hell yeah. that got potential for sure dude. look forward to seeing what it looks like once its done.
one day i will think of something smart to put here
JB

Postby SCR » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:54 pm

f*** looks like a big job dude!!!
i bet u will sink a few bottles while fixin that old girl!
SCR

Postby j-rad » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:07 pm

NICE ONE MATE!!!

Can we do some fishing with it aswell??? 8)
j-rad

Postby benaylen » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:14 pm

well, I fkn hate fishing with a passion.... but ok. I don't even eat fish.

I cleaned some of the seats up last night. Came up really good. The whole thing just needs a bit of CT18 and a good pressure clean. Will paint the inside of the hull and put down some marine carpet and she'll be looking tidy in no time.

I rang up NSW martime about registration. Man, those guys are awesome. I have absolutely zero paperwork or any of the modern compliance plates for it anything and they reckon registration will be a sinch. All they do is measure it, whack on a couple of plates, complete this, sign that, pay here, job's done! They don't check any lights or anything since they're only needed if you use it at night. I could get it registered today if I wanted... and look at it!!! Unbelieveable 8)
benaylen
Site Admin

Postby j-rad » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:45 pm

ah well fair call had to try.....

fishing is ok......good kicking back in the boat with some brews and chillen away from the kids/family etc :roll: I'll just have to keep going with Davo and Ash!
j-rad

Postby SCR » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:02 pm

how can u hate fishin??? i suck at it but still like goin down the rocks with some mates and get snag after snag hahaha!
SCR

Postby benaylen » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:22 pm

I love catching sea weed
benaylen
Site Admin

Postby el sammo » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:31 pm

sik man should go alright! you gonna ski with it?
Get beers or die tryin

www.myspace.com/sammyk101
el sammo

Postby benaylen » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:09 am

plan is to ski and wakeboard behind it when it's too hot to ride.
benaylen
Site Admin

Postby SCR » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:01 pm

when its to hot to ride it is the perfect temp to drink!!!!
problem solved sell the boat!
SCR

Postby benaylen » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:37 pm

OR you can drink IN the boat, get p1ssed, pass out, and drift your way into some island in the pacific chock-a-block full of hot chicks. 8) :lol:
benaylen
Site Admin

Postby benaylen » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:49 pm

well, the boat looks a million bucks (well, a lot better than it did). It's all polished up, seats look good, etc so I fitted a new fuel tank, new fuel line, & new plugs today in hope of getting it started. My mate Ben Ross came 'round and gave me a battery as well as a full days help trying to get the thing running. Best we could do was to get it to kick quite a few times but in the end, couldn't quite get it running. I think the problem is fuel. If we shout for it, it will kick. I know it pumps fuel to the carbys coz we put a clear fuel line on it to see it pump it up after it was primed. It's just not getting to the cylinders for some reason. It looks like it's a reed-valve into the bottom end similar to a Honda CR.
Since I got the thing for free and it's cost me hardly anything so far, I'm thinking I'll just take it to a boat shop to sort out even if it costs a few $$.
Might fit some marine carpet tomorrow while I watch Bathurst on the flat screen in the garage
benaylen
Site Admin

Postby el sammo » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:16 pm

might just be old fuel and shit in the carbs yeh? can you drain em? or just get it runnin on aerostart and see if ti clears itself out
Get beers or die tryin

www.myspace.com/sammyk101
el sammo

Postby benaylen » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:50 pm

I don't think it's old fuel. There was nothing in the bulb, was as dry as a nuns nasty. Went through heaps of aerostart which didn't help at all. As in, spraying aerostart straight down the barrel of the carbs while cranking. Didn't even kick. Would only kick when I remove the plugs and shout for it that way.
It has a kind of 'ahead of it's time' throttle / ignition system. When you crank it on/off, it rotates the distributor cap to what I think advances/retards the timing.
benaylen
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Chat