Quick & Dirty road setup

General Discussion

Moderators: Paul, mike_rock, JB

Quick & Dirty road setup

Postby benaylen » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:50 pm

My F4i is mostly a commuter 5 days a week. I pulled it's fairings off and fitted a cage for a ride just after Xmas and was going to leave it like that until Stunt Skills which means I'd have to drive the ute to work for 3 weeks. No big deal.... until I paid $26 for two days parking. That would cost me $195 for 3 weeks parking so tonight, I decided it was worth the effort setting it back to commute and back to Stunt in 3 weeks time.

I cut some corners by leaving the cage on & not fitting side fairings, but I just got the rear fairing & front fairing back on in about 20 mins flat out and now it's ready to ride with all lights, indicators, speedo, etc working.

Just got to be careful not to hook into round abouts too quickly with the cage on. :wink:

The mulit-purpose fizzle. Gotta love it.

benaylen
Site Admin

Postby Ned » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:23 pm

Yeah one good thing is that one plug does the whole nosecone - headlights and blinkers (that's why its best to do the tip over mod at the bike harness not behind the headlight :wink:
Ned

Postby el sammo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:33 pm

looks pretty tidy dude
Get beers or die tryin

www.myspace.com/sammyk101
el sammo

Postby benaylen » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:44 pm

that's why its best to do the tip over mod at the bike harness not behind the headlight

yeah I was looking at that when I was doing it. I've been using just a bit insulated wire at the plug but I might strip it back and just join 'em together.

I'm going out to a wreckers tomorrow who said they've got a scratched stock exhaust for $100. I'm thinking about buying it and cutting it down instead of hacking the good one that's on it. I was going to use the hot dog I got a little while ago like Sam's setup but too much crapping around with getting a link pipe made up. This should be pretty easy.

Hey do you know if the stock pipes are stainless steel the whole way through or just chromed steel? If it's not stainless, I can probably grind the chrome off an weld it myself. But before i get the welder out, i'm going to see if the wreckers have an end tip I can just pop rivet on there.
benaylen
Site Admin

Postby benaylen » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:38 pm

Exhaust woes... advice needed

Problem is my exhaust is too long:
- I don't really want to cut / weld my stock SS exhaust which is mint
- The local wreckers have an exhaust of a '99 model but the link pipe is different (too short)
- The local wreckers are not willing to sacrifice an end tip that I could pop-rivet on to the end of my stainless steel one if I were to cut the end off.
- I have a hot dog I could use like Sam's setup but I'd have to have a link pipe made up.

So basically my options are:
a) Cut / weld the mint stock SS exhaust (through an exhaust shop)
b) Have a link pipe made up for the hot dog (also through an exhaust shop)

I might just take my whole bike with stock exhaust to a shop and say shorten it.

yeah / nah? Any other ideas???
benaylen
Site Admin

Postby el sammo » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:31 pm

i used a smashed up stock pipe, cut the huge muffler off it and usin the stock link pipe bit welded a hot dog in its place, the exhaust welds nicely
Get beers or die tryin

el sammo

Postby benaylen » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:13 pm

yeah maybe I should ring around some more wreckers and try get a smashed stocker.
sounds like a job for tomorrow
benaylen
Site Admin

Postby Bender » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:18 am

Call Paul the Exhaust guy we know...

He should be able to do all the work you need, if you can get the base fitting from an F4i then you could possibly get Paul just to make you a new link pipe and put a home made exhaust on it or a hot dog as sam does.

Also would be worth calling Scotty B or Lucky about it, they only have about 500 f4i parts I'll bet any money they have a busted up old stock pipe lying around.
Bender

Postby SCR » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:17 pm

itz matty sells bling carbon tips ehausts for like 200 i think?
u just need to make a pipe up they r already short and look pimp!
u got his number dont u?
SCR

Postby benaylen » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:41 pm

Got my exhaust sorted! :D

benaylen
Site Admin

Postby SCR » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:02 pm

looks cool as dude what is it?
SCR

Postby el sammo » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:22 am

cool, not too loud? i have a baffle in mine that reduces it down to only a half inch hole, without the baffle its ear bleedingly loud haha
Get beers or die tryin

el sammo

Postby benaylen » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:28 am

I think it's half an Akraprovac. There's a backyardy here in Canberra that does motorbike exhausts. I went and saw him and he had box fulls of scratched and mangled exhausts. This is just the first one he picked up.

He did have a mint Yoshi about the same lenght with the badge. I was tempted to see how much he wanted for it.

Yeah it's not too loud at all. It's louder than the stock pipe but not by too much. Just sounds like a regular aftermarket pipe.
benaylen
Site Admin

Postby el sammo » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:23 pm

sik! you gonna paint the link pipe? i reckon leave it ti looks cool how it is so youre all ready to destroy at stu ntskills bro! awsome
Get beers or die tryin

el sammo

Postby benaylen » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:47 pm

yeah he gave me some heat proof paint, flat black to do it if I wanted. He also gave me some tips re: polishing it with a wax and some special polishing wheel on the bench grinder. Don't know, haven't given it much thought.

To be ready for stunt skills, I need to buy a new chain, I want some new grips, maybe some short motard gloves and summer jacket if it's going to be HOT. But I checked the weather before, they reckon it's only going to be 25'c so I might not bother and just wear my all seasons gear without lining. Still haven't decided what jacket / armour I want yet.
benaylen
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Chat