Somewhere legal to ride in the ACT

All you dirt bike people - Your own little area to get messy in !

Moderators: Paul, mike_rock, JB

Somewhere legal to ride in the ACT

Postby benaylen » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:26 pm

Media Release
Interim Recreational Riding Facilities
For ALL Canberra’s (Licensed/Unlicensed; Registered/Unregistered)
Dirt Bike Riders

NOW UP AND RUNNING

The Canberra Branch of the DSMRA and the MRA ACT have been lobbying the ACT Government for a number of years to get some land and resources allocated to replace those removed or made unavailable for Off-Road recreational motorcycle (dirt bike) riding. Well in the 2009 Budget $500,000 has been made available for a Recreational Riding Facility in line with the Election promise by Planning Minister Andrew Barr, the only catch is getting things moving at a speed faster than a glacier during an Ice Age.

Fortunately the ACT Motorcycle Club (ACT MCC) has come to our rescue providing a number of facilities at their Fairbairn Complex for us to use an Interim base for riders. The ACT MCC has given us use of their Enduro, Intermediate, and Pee Wee tracks for controlled use by recreational riders. This will allow families to bring their kids and older riders to trailer their bikes to the facility and enjoy legal off-road recreational riding. Please ensure you have an approved helmet, good gloves and suitable footwear (sneakers or joggers don’t ride on the track).

Current Planned Ride Days (more dates coming)

Saturdays July 5th and July 25th
Sunday August 9th
Saturday September 12th

Operating hours – 0930 to 1630
Costs: (Volunteers Ride Free)

Membership of the ACT MCC is compulsory for insurance purposes; however on joining your first ride day is free. Single membership - $50.00 Family Membership - $70.00

Daily Ride Charges are: Nippers (4-7) $15.00; Singles $20.00; Families $50.00

DSMRA Members daily ride rates are: Singles $10; Families $30 (worthwhile joining)

Authorised by: The ACT Recreational Riding Organising Committee

Please contact Peter Wenderoth (DSMRA) 0402 144 543 ; Peter Major (MRA ACT) 0419 866 126 , or Paul Bink (ACT MCC) 0430 500 441 if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Pete
MRA ACT
02 6207 0073
0419 866 126

PS - TELL ALL YOUR DIRT RIDING FRIENDS

:wav: :wav: :wav: :wav:
benaylen
Site Admin

Re: Somewhere legal to ride in the ACT

Postby benaylen » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:41 pm

Before you head out, double check the dates on the ACT Motorcycle Club website - http://www.actmcc.com/ . Alternatively you can phone:
- Peter Wenderoth (DSMRA) 0402 144 543
- Peter Major (MRA ACT) 0419 866 126
- Paul Bink (ACT MCC) 0430 500 441.

[rant]
They sent out a media release last month saying these are the dates (see above) then a few days ago they changed today's Sunday Aug 9 ride to yesterday Saturday Aug 8.

I was loaded with two bikes when I got a phone call from a mate of mine who actually arrived there with his whole family and two bikes to discover it wasn't on. Another mate of mine rocked up to watch to find out the same thing, and I told my mum's friends about it who just bought bikes and were going to go out there today as well. very dissappointing :x "

what I'm most p1ssed off about is I turned down riding with Keys at SCRs spot because I figured I was going to be riding today anyway. But because of this fk up, I don't get to go riding at all this weekend. not happy :evil:
[/rant]
benaylen
Site Admin

Re: Somewhere legal to ride in the ACT

Postby benaylen » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:41 pm

ok, I'm a bit calmer now. I got a call from Peter Major who explained everything. Basically said they have to work around ACTMCC and work with their noise credit system or something. There was some fk up with my club membership (again, ACTMCC) so I didn't get the email about the date change. Pete has added me to his distribution list and this shouldn't happen again.

Going forward, as soon at the ACT Government releases land and $500,000 as per their election promise, there will be a separate spot to ride not related to ACT MCC and there should be fewer problems about noise too. This can't happen soon enough!
benaylen
Site Admin

Return to Dirty Stuff