stoppies

Got any good advice ? Post it here.

Moderators: Paul, mike_rock, JB

stoppies

Postby OOO » Sat May 21, 2005 6:48 pm

im curious, how you all do stoppies, i mean do you have any little techniques that make it better for you?
ive found that if i look streight ahead and stand up a little so im streached over the front end holding the top of the tank with my thighs makes my stoppies a lot smoother and longer. anyone else got any ideas with this subject?
OOO

Postby tukn » Mon May 23, 2005 1:35 am

yeah, i always try to look straight ahead, i read somewhere that its better and once i started doing that mine improved alot.

i also kinda lift my ass off the seat a little and hug the tank with my knees, kinda throwing my weight forward as i hit the brakes.

i see the dudes on vids etc seem to look like they stay firly in their seat so i was also wondering what other people do....
tukn

Postby grandmasterb » Thu May 26, 2005 2:22 am

tukn wrote:yeah, i always try to look straight ahead, i read somewhere that its better and once i started doing that mine improved alot.

i also kinda lift my ass off the seat a little and hug the tank with my knees, kinda throwing my weight forward as i hit the brakes.

i see the dudes on vids etc seem to look like they stay firly in their seat so i was also wondering what other people do....

So im not that flash and have only really done a handfull of rolling stoppies. My best being around the 10M mark. Average being around 3-4M (yeah i know i suck but im working on it).

I lock my arms and hug the tank with my legs, pull in the clutch at around 60clicks give a quick bounce on the seat to load the rear and then apply the front brake lifting the rear.

I try and hold my head up looking out towards im going but i tend to forget this (almost all the time so i really got to work on it) and i try and tap the rear brake to stop the wheel spinning before i come back down so it doesn't give that awefull thudd.

I dont get em really high and very far but im aiming to break the 50 foot mark by the end of the year. :0)
>GMB=pro shiat stirer and stunter in training
grandmasterb

Postby kYE » Sat May 28, 2005 3:30 pm

I leave my bum on the seat and use the front brake to do all the work.

As far as where to look goes. I dunno? It doesnt seem to matter to me. Sometimes I look at the horizon. Sometimes I look at the road right in front of me. No idea whats best.

But I've been trying to do a 180 degree stoppie. Ie, flicking the back around 180 just before you stop and end up facing the way you've come from. Stuffed if I can do one. Somehow I fluked one on my 98' gixer 750 years ago and havent been able to do one since.

I've tried on a VTR250 and a ZX9R but nothing.
(previously BLOOzx9)

uni sux.... i just wanna do trix...
kYE

Postby TurboR1 » Sat May 28, 2005 10:32 pm

1. Hold your speed to anything above 70Kph. (about 100 is sweet!)
2. Place bike in neutral. (takes load of chain and gearbox)
3. Apply front brake firmly to the point where the dive in the forks is taken up.
(I do this twice, first time is to get a feel for exactly where that point is as brake temp and road conditions cause a change.)
4. As soon as fork dive is taken up, squeeze brake lever a bit harshly (this is the tricky bit) if you do it too hard wheel will lock up,
too soft and a 10cm stoppie and laughter from friends will be your reward.
5. As the back wheel comes up you need to trail off the amount of pressure on your brake lever as the higher the back wheel goes
the less effort is required by the brakes to keep it there. (we are talking milimeters at the bar here)
6. Always keep your eyes on where you want to be going (just like normal riding)
7. Once you are happy with the height (or chicken out) gently release the brake lever as just letting it go will slam the back of the
bike to the ground (not good for shocks and linkages)
8. Put the back wheel down before you have stopped as the slower you become the less stable the whole exercise becomes.
Having the back wheel three feet in the air at standstill is not much fun
9. You're in neutral remember? so as soon as both whells are on the ground pop the bike back into gear and pop a nice mono as you leave

Of course this works best for me, others like to leave the bike in gear, and dont put it down until the bike is stopped. (must have a higher chain fund than myself)
Enjoy
Caution! Not politically correct...ever!

mmm.... girl on girl
TurboR1

Postby OOO » Sat May 28, 2005 10:42 pm

it seems that everybody seems to have the same idea's when it comes to doing stoppies. the idea of this thread in the first place was for the stunters that dont know how to do stoppies, can read all posts and go try put the theries into practice :wink: good luck with your attempts and hope this helps you with stoppies.
on a personal note: i like to touch the front wheel with my left hand while doing my stoppies :twisted:
OOO

Postby [NoMaD] » Sat May 28, 2005 10:52 pm

OOO wrote:it seems that everybody seems to have the same idea's when it comes to doing stoppies. the idea of this thread in the first place was for the stunters that dont know how to do stoppies, can read all posts and go try put the theries into practice :wink: good luck with your attempts and hope this helps you with stoppies.
on a personal note: i like to touch the front wheel with my left hand while doing my stoppies :twisted:

I like to do an impossible possible no braking one hander endo!! :wink: :lol:

:twisted:
[NoMaD]

Postby wheelieBIN » Sat May 28, 2005 10:55 pm

Well I learnt alot from reading this..............But proof is always in the pudding..........And the fun bit too............. :twisted: :twisted:
-------------------------------------------------------
PETER
wheelieBIN

Postby OOO » Sat May 28, 2005 11:17 pm

nice stoppie nomad 8)
OOO

Postby Shakti Stunter » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:13 pm

well, this is Jesse's reply to me in a womin's only forum:
think of doing a stoppie as a very elegant thing... position yourself with your back arched, straighten and stiff, arms almost fully extended.. but not locked... and ass off the seat and over the tank... almost like a jocky rides their horse...

her site is http://www.roadrashchic.com/home.html and she recently got a second in the XXX Frenzy and Motorsport Expo.
May a flea climb up my ass find happiness.
Shakti Stunter

Postby [NoMaD] » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:09 pm

I can do rollin endos at 80km/h and keep em really really high in the air controlled, however whenever I do it any faster then 80km/h on my bike it always seem to want to swerve to the right of me before I even finish off my endo at a complete stop. I tried adjusting my body position and focus lookin ahead but it always goes to the right! never once I have done a endo that went to left..anyone kno what I'm doin wrong?

I want to do long rolling endos but I get frustrated so I just do the high rollin endos for fun even if it doesnt go futher then 5 metres..
[NoMaD]

Postby Shakti Stunter » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:52 pm

Nose Wheelin'
by Sam Maclachlan
published by AMCN (Australian Motorcycle News) Aug 13 04

As with anything, start off slow and build up your speed. 40km/h in second gear is generally a good place to start. Get your body in the correct position now: butt as far forward as your tank will allow; gripping the tank tight with your knees; head up, looking ahead; relax.

Close your throttle as you pull in the clutch lever and squeeze the front brake lever with four fingers (four gives better feel than two). Use the forward weight transfer to help get the rear wheel light. Note: if the front tyre locks, release the front brake immediately, then go and warm up your tyre with some hard stops and try again.

You should now be braking almost as hard as you can, the weight compressing the front forks, the tyre gripping firm. Keep your eyes looking up the road at least five bike lengths in front of you, then smoothly but purposefully push your weight forward onto your hands and, therefore onto the 'bars, while giving the front brake lever a hard squeeze to start the rear wheel travelling skywards. You can also help it on its way by bouncing your weight down on the footpegs just before you transfer your weight, using the rear spring's rebound to help raise the rear wheel. This requires even more timing than the above method because it's a more advanced technique.

4. Now's when not to panic. As the rear elevates, ease off the front brake pressure to keep the rear wheel from either rising or lowering, and keep your eyes up. Straighten your arms as much as you can, effectively pushing your upper body high and back so the rear doesn't need to come too high. You should be gripping hard with your knees to keep the bike straight.

If all is going well, you will reach balance point on the front wheel where you can adjust the braking force to keep yourself there. If the back wheel comes up too high, release the front brake. If you need it higher, squeeze harder.

It's best to return to Mother Earth with the bike still rolling forward as it's easier on the tyre, wheel and suspension. And your butt. To come down, ease off the brake pressure (as opposed to just letting go - it's smoother). I like to stand up as the bike comes down to absorb the shock with my knees and take some weight off the rear.

A. HEAD AND EYES: keep them up and looking ahead
B. BUTT: slide as far forward as you can before you start
C. ARMS: push you upper body high and back
D. KNEES: squeeze hard - it helps keep the bike straight
E. RIGHT HAND: be smooth but purposeful with the brakes
F. FORKS: use compression ot help transfer weight
G. TYRES: must be warm and in good condition
May a flea climb up my ass find happiness.
Shakti Stunter

Postby stooge » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:52 pm

hmmm, interesting. I keep my arms slightly bent, so I can control the bike if it starts to swerve. I look down, say 5 meters in front of the bike cos if I dont I cant get the ass high enough for my neck to flex forward. My ass is slightly off the seat.

As with speed, the bike gets really unsettled if I go above 90kph. Its when a damper starts to come into play here.
Carlos (aka Stooge)
WHERETHEFUCKISMYCRASHENDOVIDEOYAKHRAN
stooge

Postby STREET ELITE LUCAS » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:42 pm

[NoMaD] wrote:
OOO wrote:it seems that everybody seems to have the same idea's when it comes to doing stoppies. the idea of this thread in the first place was for the stunters that dont know how to do stoppies, can read all posts and go try put the theries into practice :wink: good luck with your attempts and hope this helps you with stoppies.

I like to do an impossible possible no braking one hander endo!! :wink: :lol:

:twisted:
Did you crash? :shock:
STREET ELITE LUCAS

Postby FULLHOUSE_R1 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:50 am

thats something i gotta start trying

cant do em to save my life
FULLHOUSE_R1

Next

Return to Tech Talk