A trap for new players - with wiring that is

Got any good advice ? Post it here.

Moderators: Paul, mike_rock, JB

A trap for new players - with wiring that is

Postby Taz666 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:11 pm

OK, so we have just spent twelve hours drinking nice scotch and working on the bike. The gixxer had been crashed destroying the tank and handlebar controls. Having no intention of ever trying to register it, the loose wires laying around were a source of annoyance, so out with the sidecutters. The barrel in the ignition switch was also badly worn so "snip" cut it out and replace it with a heavy duty 12v switch across the two main wires, looped the second pair in accordance with the loop on the ignition switch plug and joined the other two wires as the ignition switch test using a light indicated that it was switched. Hit the magic button and our freshly tuned engine just wound over.

After pouring another scotch and considering the possible causes of this catastrophe (it was just after midnight and I am certain that my neighbours wanted to hear it running at least once more that night) I decided that a more detailed test of the switch was in order. I attached a multi-meter and did a resistance check, to find that the third set of wires actually had a resistance of 95 Ohms. This prompted me to disassemble the switch, at which point I found the source of irritation. Suzuki has seen fit to place a resistor in the ignition switch as a theft prevention measure. I removed the resistor from the switch assembly, soldered it into the loop in series, and wouldn't you know it, it started first kick.

So if you are intending to replace your factory ignition switch it might pay to test the switch for resistance characteristics before you grab the wirecutters, it would have saved me an hour and at least minimised the headache I had the following day.

Cheers

Taz :twisted:
If you can't race it or take it to bed it ain't worth having
Taz666

Postby el sammo » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:16 pm

cool man good info i would have smashed something before i worked that out haha
Get beers or die tryin

www.myspace.com/sammyk101
el sammo

Postby Bender » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:21 pm

Stuntskills 4th May Oran Park.... BE THERE!
Bender

Return to Tech Talk