Has anyone out there rebuilt a GSXR 600 water pump?

Got any good advice ? Post it here.

Moderators: Paul, mike_rock, JB

Has anyone out there rebuilt a GSXR 600 water pump?

Postby Taz666 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:27 am

Ok, I have the water pump out, have removed the cover and the impeller. I have not yet tried to remove the shaft, although it moves freely through the bearings.

It is my observation that the shaft can be "tapped" through with a drift from here. Advice?

I understand that there are two bearings in the aluminum housing that I will need to remove (I have ordered the mechanical seal, two bearings and an oil seal). Does anyone have any tips on this, the bearing closest to the engine should not pose a problem, but the internal one could be challenging?

Any assistance woudl be appreciated.

Cheers

Taz
If you can't race it or take it to bed it ain't worth having
Taz666

Postby el sammo » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:21 pm

dunno dude havent done a gixer one, Ned would know for sure!
Get beers or die tryin

www.myspace.com/sammyk101
el sammo

Postby Bender » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:42 am

el sammo wrote:dunno dude havent done a gixer one, Ned would know for sure!

Where is JB, he has owned like 3 of these he should know
Bender

Postby JB » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:28 pm

here i am lol. not that i would be best to ask as i'm usually the one asking lol. anyway, i'll give it my best. from memory your gixer is an srad yeah? mine were/are 03 models, so not sure if its the same. if it is, i have pulled the water pump off once or twice, just trying to remember how i got the shaft out. from memory it just pulled out by hand. but mabey yours has a cir clip or something holding it in? have you got pics? i'm pretty sure the shaft went all the way through and did the oil pump to yeah? my head aint working to well as i'm trying to work out whats wrong with my POS honda right now aswell lol. swap ya :)
k so not sure if we have made any forward progression. but if you could get some pics up it could be helpfull. cheers.
one day i will think of something smart to put here
JB

My question relates to the water pump assembly

Postby Taz666 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:38 pm

I have removed the pump from the engine, and then removed the cover, and driven the shaft through the impeller. I am looking for advice on removing the bearings and oil seal from the waterpump housing.

The bearings appear to be pressed into the housing and there must be a technique for removing them.

A picture can be found here http://www.imagessite.com/OEM_Images/Suzuki_mc_images/97GSXR60016.gif

Got the call from Action this morning, the seals and bearings are here, will try and ask their resident wrench when I pick them up tomorrow.

Cheers

Taz
If you can't race it or take it to bed it ain't worth having
Taz666

Postby JB » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:10 pm

hard to tell from that pic as its not very clear. i would think that if it doesnt have something like a cir clip holding it on, then more then likely it will come off with a press or a gently tap with something.
one day i will think of something smart to put here
JB

Postby j-rad » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:53 am

No.
j-rad

Return to Tech Talk